Friday, October 28, 2005

Antiquated

My mom

has an extensive VHS collection

(7 rows of them). If anyone knows my mom, she hates movies. She is in herself a conundrum. I can't get her to get rid of them. I tell her that DVD is better and that she should replace any of them that she likes with DVD. She won't budge. She loves her movies. She doesn't watch them, but she loves them. She indexed all of them with orange labels. Today, I decided to make a point. I took "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" on VHS (a movie I dearly love) and broke it over my knee

in front of her. It hurt but had to be done. She knew I loved the movie. But now it is gone. I told her she could do the same with hers. "But what about 'The Santa Claus'?" she'd say. I said we could get it on DVD. I don't think it helped. I wasted a good movie. Maybe I planted a seed. Maybe I should throw them all away like I did her couches. I hated those couches. I found out why she's so happy and weird all the time. I found a weed cookbook

in her collection.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Y'mean like, weed brownies?
Groovy!
-----j

10/29/2005 12:37 PM  
Blogger amber said...

you are slowly taking over that house! i hated those couches too. your mom rocks though.

10/30/2005 9:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, VHS... How we loved you then. Back when we thought the white noise was part of the mix and they took so long between theatrical to video that we'd forgotten the flick wasn't supposed to be all fuzzy and blocky and have lag issues every thirty seconds. If laserdisc hadn't been so cost prohibitive you'd have dies about 8-10 years earlier. If Sony had been smarter you'd have never existed in public consciousness at all.....




Ah well.

11/01/2005 8:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! "Ah well." is MY audible sigh type phrase! I guess I can share it with Steve.

-----j

11/01/2005 10:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks......... and sorry

11/02/2005 8:34 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home